How Do I Get Rid of My Old Refrigerator?
Filed under: Junk Removal
Comments: Comments Off on How Do I Get Rid of My Old Refrigerator?
Is your fridge broken and ready to be disposed of? It’s best to book a professional service when it comes to old refrigerator removal, such as Junkaroo. It can be challenging to throw out a fridge. Aside from its heavy weight, it can be quite bulky, which means there’s a risk of damaging items in your home or office if it is not removed carefully.
How to tell if your fridge needs to be disposed of:
- Check the temperature setting. A low temperature indicates that it may be working properly, while a high temperature might mean it’s completely broken.
- Do you hear a motor noise coming from behind your fridge? Although this is a good sign of a working fridge, the temperature of your fridge needs to be cool. If you hear a noise and the temperature is warm, this could mean the compressor is broken.
- Do you see a lot of frost buildup? Your refrigerator coils may be broken.
Can You Recycle a Refrigerator?
Refrigerator recycling is possible but only through an expert who can properly break down the parts to be recycled. Refrigerators can’t be thrown into dumpsters. They contain harmful chemicals that need to be properly disposed of. Fridge parts are removed and disposed of separately at recycling centres.
If you need to have a refrigerator recycled, hiring a junk removal company is your best shot. When you choose Junkaroo, we can assess whether your refrigerator can be recycled, and if not, we will make sure it is properly disposed of.
How Do I Prepare My Old Fridge for Disposal?
These steps need to be taken before you dispose of a fridge:
- First, you need to unplug your fridge. Don’t just turn it off at the power supply. It needs to be completely unplugged from its switch to ensure the risk of injury.
- After you unplug your refrigerator, the evaporator will begin to defrost. Get hold of towels, rags, or paper towels as it can get messy while defrosting.
- You need to remove all foods from your fridge. Hopefully, you have another fridge on standby by now
- You need to tape down or remove shelves and compartments. It can hurt someone or pose a hazard if it falls out during its move. You can also damage your shelves in the process of moving too.
Refrigeration removal isn’t an easy task. The most important step is to get help with moving your heavy refrigerator. Luckily, the team at Junkaroo can easily safely remove and dispose of your old refrigerator for you. We offer junk removal services for all your old appliances including old refrigerator pick-up services. Our team will do the heavy lifting and recycle all parts for you.
Ready to dispose of your fridge? Contact us today!